Friday, August 31, 2007

The Aforementioned Wee Hour Programming

The other night I was having trouble falling asleep, so I flipped on my lil tv to see if it had anything to offer. Seeing as the lil tv exists in my bedroom where there is no cable box, there really wasn't much. I settled on GREG: The Greg Behrendt Show because I saw a snippet once before and it was truly terrible, so I thought it best to torture myself and see how much of a full episode I could sit through. Also, it was 3 am, so my only other options were infomercials. I lasted about 35 minutes before I shut my lil tv off in disgust. I was particularly lucky that morning because the topic of the day was "The Best of the Greg Behrendt Show". Let me tell you, if that's what they came up with for the best segments the show has ever had, then it's a real wonder that the show is still on the air.

For those who don't know, Greggy B was a coauthor on that horrid book "He's Just Not That Into You" and he's been milking it for all it's worth (which, in my oh so humble opinion, is not much). I don't even know how to describe how awful this show was. In the period of time that I wasted watching it, he chose the most random segments to highlight. He also made a "joke" (one of those that's actually true i'm sure) that they collected "thousands" of letters from "fans" who sent in what they thought the best segments were, and then paid zero attention to them and chose what Greg thought was the best. You know what that meant? That the choice segments were heavy on the Greg talk and lite on whatever that particular show was about. Then there was about 20 minutes of different video segments where greg goes out into the world and tries to be funny in a kind of lame pseudo-dane cook sort of way. an example of one of these would be how he went into a grocery store and admonished the place for catering to sexual deviants. i could try and explain that in more detail, but really its not worth it. he also talked about how bad his style was 'in the beginning' but it didn't really look like much in that department has changed. He then had a section devoted to Greg-overs. What makes a Greg-over different from a makeover? Nothing. I was kinda hoping a Greg-over meant someone would get changed to look like Greg. But i think he just calls it that hoping that it makes it manlier. Dude, you're in your 40's (and it shows. zing!) and you have the hair thing going on and the glasses thing sometimes and it really looks like you're trying too hard to look half your age. Also, the uncomfortable banter with the audience between the segments was mediocre stand up at best.

i don't know why this dude angers me so much. i've never read his dumb book but i've had to dole out some tough love because of it. actually, scratch that. i know several reasons why this dude angers me. it's just weird because i have such a hatred for a man i've had limited exposure to. anyone else?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lordee, am I glad someone else has seen this show, so I know I'm not crazy.
Isn't he awful? And doesn't he have people to tell him he looks like an asshole? And what is it about him that inspires instant hatred?
He's the worst, and I've never read his book, either but I bet it the experience would be akin to jabbing a screwdriver in my ear. Repeatedly.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. I've been on the receiving end of that tough love more than once. If I ever run into GB, I'll let him know that a large portion of America, is just not that into him. For the record, I agree that his show sucks.